Dunluce Castle - Famous MacDonnell Clan Fortress
Imagine the ruins of a medieval castle, dramatically sitting on the edge of a cliff overlooking the Atlantic Ocean: this is the picture-perfect Dunluce castle site. Located on the Antrim coast near the Giant’s Causeway, this site is one of the treasures of the historical and cultural heritage of Northern Ireland.
What can my group expect from a visit to Dunluce Castle?
- Explore the ruins of the castle in this stunning location and immerse yourself into the history of the site, dating back hundreds of years ago
- Learn about the fascinating stories and legends that surround this landmark
- Take the 115 steps down to the uniquely picturesque Mermaid’s cave, located beneath the castle
- Download the Dunluce castle app beforehand to allow your group to visit the castle at their own pace
- For a deeper insight into the castle and its 13th-century beginnings, there is also a small visitor centre where your group can watch a short video and enjoy the interactive exhibition on show
Donyah from team CGH says: this landmark is much more than just a typical drive by insta photostop; the epic views you get once inside the site are worth the entrance fees alone.
Although the castle has never fully been restored, this does not take away from the sense of history you can expect when exploring the rugged ruins. Coupled with the magnificent backdrop out to the North Atlantic Ocean, this is a truly breath-taking place.
Did you know?
Like so many other locations in Northern Ireland, Dunluce castle also played a part in the iconic Game of Thrones. It can be recognised as being the location of Castle Greyjoy in this hit TV series.
Dunluce Castle is also believed to have inspired C.S Lewis for Cair Paravel in his Narnia chronicles.
How to visit this stunning Castle with CGH:
- As a day trip from Belfast along the stunning Causeway Coastal route including also a stop at the Giants Causeway.
- As a package day trip from Dublin as part of Games of Thrones tour which include famous filming locations used in the HBO series.
This iconic castle isn’t the only highlight on this part of Northern Ireland’s picturesque coastline. Why not make the short hop across the coastal road to explore the world famous Giant’s Causeway.
Opened 7 days a week
10:00 hrs to 17:00 hrs
The last entry is at 16:30 hrs
The visit is about an hour to have time to enjoy the visit and take in the surrounding views
87 Dunluce Rd, Bushmills BT57 8UY, United Kingdom
Notes to group leaders:
We recommend wearing appropriate footwear and also rain jackets as most parts are not covered.