Visit beautiful Avondale Forest Park and climb Beyond the Trees on the longest treetop walk in Ireland
Where is Avondale Forest Park?
Avondale Forest Park is a glorious wooded estate in County Wicklow, Ireland. It is on the outskirts of pretty Rathdrum village, just 90 minutes from Dublin and where Beyond the Trees is located.
It is a special place where nature and science, the past and future, all live harmoniously. The park is resplendent with mighty Sequoias (Giant Redwoods), yew, larch, fir, oak, and spruce trees.
What is Beyond the Trees?
- A new world-class visitor attraction committed to practicing and promoting sustainable tourism.
- It is the longest treetop walk in Ireland consisting of a unique, architecturally stunning 12-storey tower amid a grove of eucalyptus trees.
- Featuring an elevated 1.4 km-long spiral boardwalk, visitors can walk around the tower until they reach a spectacular viewing platform 38 metres above the forest floor.
- Sweeping, panoramic views over the Wicklow Mountains, the Avonmore River, and the Vale of Avoca can be enjoyed from the top.
How do you get down from the Tree Top Walk and Viewing Tower?
When you finish leaf-peeping, you can take a fast way down (weather permitting) via a giant spiral slide in the middle of the tower. You can, of course, enjoy a gentle walk back down the boardwalk. However, whizzing down the slide is much more fun.
What else can your group do at Avondale Forest Park?
- Relax and have a picnic in the tranquil gardens
- Wander the walking trails through the splendid forest
- Take a guided tour of the historic 18th-century Avondale House
- Explore the terrific immersive exhibitions at the Coillte Pavilion
- Learn how to protect forests for future generations
- Discover the essential role forests play for people, wildlife, and the climate
We recommend exploring Avondale Forest Park on one of the wonderful walking trails
A visit is an innovative way for your school tour group to learn about sustainability, biodiversity and climate action and to be surrounded by nature and immersed in Irish history.
Bring a packed lunch and enjoy eating al fresco at the picnic tables and benches, or we can pre-book lunch for your school group in the Seed Cafe inside Avondale Forest Park.
Visiting Avondale with CGH:
- On a full day trip - you can spend the day in Avondale Forest Park after the experience including one of the forest trails.
- On a day trip combining it with a visit to Glendalough, located only 30 minutes from Avondale Forest Park.
>Below the Trees Walk
800m – 15min – Easy.
|1.2km – 30min – Easy
>The Railway Walk
2km – 45min – Moderate
>Pedestrian Access from Rathdrum
2km – 45min – Moderate
>To the Cairn Walk
3km – 1hr – Moderate
>The River Walk
5km – 1hr 45min – Strenuous
November, December, January and February
Thursday to Monday 10.00 until 15:30 hrs.
Last Admission at 14.30 hrs.
March, April and May
Monday to Sunday 09.30 until 17:00 hrs.
Last Admission at 16.00 hrs.
June, July, August and September
Monday to Sunday 09.30 until 19.00 hrs.
Last Admission at 18.00 hrs.
October - Monday to Sunday 09:30 until 18:00 hrs.
Last Admission at 17.00 hrs.
We recommend allowing 1.5 hours for the Tree Top Walk and Viewing Tower and an additional 1.5 hours for exploring Avondale Forest Park.
Notes for Group Leaders
A self-guided visit does not include access to the slide. However, you can book the slide directly on the day for €2.00 per person (weather permissible).
Beyond the Trees Avondale, Avondale Forest Park, Rathdrum, Co. Wicklow, Ireland, A67 P303.